First: choose the width needle you want. This will determine what materials you use in your punch. Choose from two widths: regular and fine:
- Regular The regular needle can be used with heavy 3-ply rug yarn and bulky weight knitting yarn. You can also double, triple, and quadruple finer yarns and thread them together through the punch needle at the same time. ¼” wide strip of fabric also work beautifully in the regular needle. In South Africa Charity Seriously Chunky, Kartopu Melange etc. are the best options for the width of this needle.
The fine needle can be used with worsted weight, sock weight, baby weight,sport weight, tapestry, and needlepoint yarns. Narrow strips of fabric can also be used. We suggest 3/32” wide strips (known as #3 cut in the rug hooking world.) In South Africa the majority of Double Knit, Aran, Worsted or Chunky yarns will be suitable. Examples are Charity DK & Chunky, Himalaya Everyday, African Expressions Harmony.
Next: choose how tall you want your loops to be:
- For 3/8” tall loops (9.52mm)
- For 1/4” tall loops (6.35mm)
- for 1/8″ tall loops (3.18mm)
Now pick your punch needle. Choose the needle width and loop height that you need. Here are the sizes we offer:
- #9 (3/8″ loop) regular
- #9 (3/8″ loop) fine
- #10 (1/4″ loop) regular
- #10 (1/4″ loop) fine
- “The Mini” #14 (1/8″ loop) – available in fine only
- “The Mini With Heels” #13 (3/16″ loop) – available in fine only